Sunday, July 20, 2008

Katrina's Children Critique

My daughter was recently sent a copy of a documentary entitled Katrina's Children and was asked to review it and give her critique. As most of you know, she has five children and has been repairing damage to her home so she passed the CD for my review as to its content until she could give her review. This morning I received an email from Katrina's Children and was asked to give a review also since I had grandchildren involved. So here is my attempt to do the well put together documentary justice.

The setting is in New Orleans and one child was from Buras, Louisiana.

The first thing I noticed was that these children didn't need a script. They spoke and cried naturally about what they had experienced especially in the aftermath of Katrina. There is a longing in all of them for the return of a life they once knew. They have lost not only their homes and possessions but, as one young boy said, a part of themselves. They walk through deserted, desolate neighborhoods and go up to houses that they identify as their homes and all you see is a pile of rubble beyond repair. They will show you pictures that they have drawn which clearly depict their emotions. As I watched, I thought about my carefree happy childhood and that of my own children. I cried for these children and the many more that are out there and hurting.

It's an excellent documentary that I highly recommend that you watch. I also suggest you keep the Kleenex near by, I was teary eyed the entire time. To see a child hurt is heart wrenching. What can we do for them? How can we let them know that life can get better?

My grandchildren were ages, 8, 7, 2 and 17 days old when the storm came in on Pascagoula, Mississippi and destroyed their home. During the storm we kept them away from the windows so as not to frighten them further by the horrific destructive force that was taking place outside. The 8 yr. old said doing the storm, "I don't want to die." They have had a rough time at such a young age. They had to sleep on the floor, had to eat whatever we could get together, they were bitten by mosquitoes, they suffered from the heat, they had nothing to play with, they saw all the destruction that no child should have to see, they saw people asking for clothing and food, living in tents and they have seen countless rows of fema trailers. (4500 fema trailers and mobile homes are still in south Mississippi). For 3 yrs. they have been watching their Mom and Dad repair their home. In August 2007, the 7 yr. old who was 9 yrs. old at the time said to me, as we were putting distance between us and an oil refinery explosion, "Nana, I don't think I can take it this time if we lose our house or my things."

Yes my grandchildren are Katrina Children as are children from many cities and parishes in Louisiana and the state of Alabama. I asked earlier in this post, "How can we help them?" Why not add an acknowledgment at the beginning or end of the documentary that recognizes that they are all truly Katrina Children, as indeed they are, and have not been forgotten..

No comments: