Sunday, July 13, 2008


It's right around the corner. What? I'll give you a hint ... it's something a great number of people voice that they are tired of hearing about. You got it? Yep, Katrina three years later. Most of us go for the sensational so Katrina brought interest at first. It probably was morbidly exciting to see bodies floating in the waters of Katrina or to see videos of houses crushed and people going through clothes piled in dirty parking lots or asking for water and ice in the August heat. There were scenes flashing across television screens all over the world showing bedraggled, exhausted, frightened people. My daughter and I went out as volunteers for an organization in Minnesota to get clothes, small appliances etc. to neighboring residents. We couldn't get in to some areas as they were blocked to traffic for months. Did we think of other people before ourselves, yes we did, especially my daughter. Her home was badly damaged. "Did We Survive Hurricane Katrina or Not"

My contribution has been mostly to my hometown (Pascagoula) that I came back to after so many years away. I have taken pictures of destruction and progress to document. In my writings, I literally put my heart and soul on display for anyone to read about what happened here and the seriousness of the situation. Unfortunately, there have been many hindrances along our road to recovery but still we persevere. To read so many unfavorable comments about us whining and having our hands out for more free "stuff" are hurtful barbs but the majority of us down here are way to0 busy to respond to pettiness. So as a deterrent from all the chaos, we get involved in other projects that will benefit someone else. We don't hold our hands out, we extend our hands out to help others. Anita, my daughter, just recently asked me if I could crochet lap covers for disabled veterans. My answer is always the way I initially respond, "Anita, I can hardly do the things I have to do, also it has been years since I did that handiwork." Well, I mulled it over for a few days and remembered that I had an afghan that would be perfect and if I could still crochet, I would be one ahead.



I am sure that I will be writing again off and on until the Anniversary. Until then!

No comments: