Thursday, September 6, 2007

It was pretty frightening about the B2 stealth bomber carrying nuclear weapoms from Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota to Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana wasn't it? I have been searching for news today and I have found nothing. Yesterday it was "chalked up" to just a mistake. There were warhead tips on the weapons and they were mounted under the wings of the aircraft. I call that more than a mistake don't you? We were told not to worry as enemy aircraft couldn't have overtaken the stealth as it never left the US. I guess that was suppose to make us feel good.

Of course, this reminds me of a story.... My young husband was stationed at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, Mississippi. In those days girls stayed in their parents home until marriage. I had never been alone until the evening my husband was called to nightshift. I couldn't call him but he said he would call to check on me. He left to go to an offbase destination site. They wore badges and were told that if the badge turned red to notify whoever was in charge and he would reset it. Nothing to worry about.... very little radiation. Anyway, I am getting off the subject. I heard all kinds of noises that night and by the time he did call, I was hysterical. He said, "Hang on." A minute later he was back on the line after getting an okay from someone and said, "Ruth get in the car and drive here, I will meet you at the gate." True to his word he and several other young airmen were waiting at the gate to let me in. I spent the night with seven airmen ... one of them was my husband. We played cards until dawn until George was off duty. Was that a breach of security? You bet it was! Was it a mistake? No it was a deliberate action!

No comments: