Friday, September 12, 2008

Our Brush With Ike

The last 24 hours have been absolutely exhausting. Just leaving my house to be with my daughter and her family meant I had to pack up once again what I would need. I have not quite recuperated from our trip to Atlanta, Ga where we made an attempt to put distance between ourselves and Gustav ... then along comes Ike. I am very happy to say that we came through very well. Last evening the winds were gusting at 30 to 40 mph as it passed us. There was not much rain in our area and personally I am very glad as I live off River Road and the Pascagoula River was rising and spilling over its banks. Had I stayed in my house I would have been trapped as the bridge to my left went underwater and the road to my right was beginning to flood when I left the house but I knew that I could return for a couple of hours and relax as we were at low tide. I returned to daughter's house about 6PM last evening. After a relatively uneventful night, at 10AM this morning I packed and started winding my way back home and this is what I found on the same road I came out on. I made a feeble attempt to drive a short distance through the water before I backed out ... there was a current.


A little later Anita and I went to take pictures. I have still shots of Beach Boulevard but I can't top her video. My video lasts a minute and the syrupy voice you hear is mine but don't let it fool you, "I am tough as nails". "smile" Will post a few more pictures tomorrow.

.

No comments: