Saturday, August 2, 2008

I believe that if I had been locked in a room for the past three years with no communication to the outside world that I would have been able to tell each year that the anniversary of Katrina was drawing near. I can't speak for anyone but myself so I am going to try to tell you how I feel. I, my daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren should have died that day but we didn't. Somehow I had the sensation that we were lifted above the tragedy that was happening below We prayed incessantly, the Divine Mercy Chaplet, our voices loud and clear as we asked for God's mercy. What has happened to me is that I still feel like I am suspended in air just waiting for the other shoe to drop and then I will make my descent. Is that anyway to live, of course not, but that is how it is for me and maybe many more people. They call what has happened to us mental illness but I call it an emotional illness. Death can come suddenly as in a car crash where many are killed instantly or from a long illness where you are under heavy sedation. To be alive and vibrant and KNOW that you are going to die was nightmarish enough but the way you knew you would die was even more horrendous. The house would have eventually collapsed or you would drown. You know how most things that happen in our life are recalled by what we call a "trigger"? A song or a word might bring the event back to you to relive. That's what the month of August is to many of us now ... a trigger.

My new PC is great. My old one couldn't burn music CD's but this one can so I have been purchasing songs from Amazon I have to be careful as I have what I call an obsessive personality and I know that I will have zillions of songs before I finally tire of it or Amazon has no more to sell me.

Until later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

All so true.

Oh - and I'm sure Amazon will have enough to keep you busy for at least a little while. :)