Sunday, June 1, 2008


Today is Sunday and I am almost "boarded up" in the house. The weather has been very hot and is in much need of rain. Friday Dave and Anita cut the grass for me as I sometimes am not quite up to the chore. Anita came in after cutting the front yard and said the noise of the lawnmower had chased a snake out from the monkey grass which lines the front walkway. While Dave was cutting the back yard small newly hatched frogs were jumping up into the air. Lots of them. I don't want to turn on the sprinklers as more will come for water. Poor creatures.

I read again that the state, in case of a hurricane threat, will send buses to pick up people if they have no way to evacuate. Taking your own vehicle is sort of frowned on as it always causes traffic congestion and now, with the price of gasoline, it's a good time don't you think for all of us to board a State bus that will take us away from the coast? I certainly don't feel that way. There are catastrophes all around us and for some reason Mississippi and Louisiana are the two most singled out states that they say do not prepare for disasters. Everyone should know that no matter where you live, you can't stock up on medication. Luckily, for a lot of us, one lone pharmasist gave us what we needed. We had a lot of non perishable food and water but all that was destroyed. In my lifetime, I have been in a couple of shelters and many times what is predicted to happen doesn't happen. Those of a certain age with health problems will not make it out alive or later it will hasten their death.. It's miserable. You are just as hot, hungry and thirsty. Dave, Anita and I used ingenuity and survived. We were in control and found a way. If I read one more article on us being complacent, I will explode.


On a lighter note, about the weather and strange things happening. Every Christmas, I have always had a couple of poinsettia flowers which never lived past Christmas. They usually shriveled up and died before the season ended. This past year I put the two I had outside in freezing weather in their pots. No big deal there as they like cold. Even when the heat arrived and stormy weather blew them around the driveway, they survived (Like Katrina). They are now planted in my yard, one is still "red"... I took the picture this morning.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The national news articles at the beginning of hurricane season make me furious.. I've really got to get into the habit of totally avoiding news between June 1st and December 1st each year.

Ruth said...

What bothers me the most is only a handful of people are dictating our every move. I am tired of it too, very much so after 3 yrs. of ridicule on our competency to take care of ourselves. Who can do a better job than the ones who fight to save their lives as most of us did.. I will take the snakes, jumping frogs and a poinsettia that lives in the heat of our summer.