Friday, April 25, 2008


Let There Be Shade

The weather is beautiful today, so I am in the yards doing what you do to maintain one -- like lots of weeding, mowing and planting. We need a little rain and although it is forecast a week in advance, it hasn't rained yet. I put a sprinkler in the side yard and it was hitting three side windows but I thought I would clean the windows at the same time. Good idea huh? NO!! When I came inside for a cup of coffee, there was water inside. Shoot! Well I have tried many things since I lost my husband not because I have any desire to do something different but because it always becomes necessary. So now I will attempt to replace the dried out "putty" or "caulk"?


I think most of us down here are just going on with our lives in spite of the problems. My daughter sent me a couple of articles and they made me angry. Yes Southerners can get angry. Don't kick us when we are down .. give us a chance to stand on our feet. If a person is coming here only to gather news and to speak ill of the people .. don't come again. Of course, things look bad down here .. we had a major disaster. By the way, we didn't have zillions of Waffle Houses or zillions of Dollar General stores before the storm. It was meant as a "put down" I am sure. Stupid!

As for our clogged arteries, let me ask how many of you out there really believe you are going to live way past the usual time span given to each of us? We are dying at approximately the age that people through the centuries arrived at. We have become too self-centered. Men and women are lifting their faces, parts of their bodies, starving to attain the enviable figure .. by all means don't go out in public if your "Abs" aren't rock hard. In aspiring for wealth and acclaim we are losing compassion for our fellowman. We all have some very rough times coming and thinking that it can't happen to you would be foolish. Maybe it won't come in the form of a hurricane or a tornado but how about famine or a foreclosure on your homes? In the blink of an eye, it can change quickly.

Oh! I hope you don't think that I believe I will be around to see the above maple trees reach a height to shade the house. They will one day benefit someone. I'll see you again.

Sifting for truth in Katrina's wake


KSU Salem students see lingering Katrina impact




No comments: