Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I have been away from my writings for awhile now. Each time I attempt to make a comeback and think that I will write again with enthusiasm as I did on my Camille and Katrina Were not Ladies blog, I revert back to rather long periods where I disappear. I can't blame it on writer's block as we certainly have many subjects to "spin off" on in our area. When I re-read my writings over the past 2 1/2 yrs., I see that what I reported on in the then "present" time .. has not happened. There are still people in Fema trailers and no place to go because of high rent. It seems that many take advantage of disasters to make a profit and I find that abhorrent as we all should.

My hometown, Pascagoula, had a list out months ago on the streets that would be repaired and in what year. That has all gone by the wayside now so they are patching "potholes" which everyone knows, no matter where you live, that eventually they return as bigger potholes. They are repairing sections of the streets with rectangle shaped blacktop strips but now, instead of blowing your tires out from falling into a pothole, your vehicle now dips first before it bumps.

I decided to get out today and take updated pictures of the pier on the beach and the post office. Although the pier, in my opinion, isn't as pretty as the destroyed one, I console myself with the fact that there is one there. The post office is coming along slowly.. no workers there today. I think the Fema trailer that has been Pascagoula's post office since after the storm is showing wear and tear. We need to get the post office completed and open for business soon or else we will need another trailer.

AND on the home front ,,, I am still working around the house. Occasionally, I am disturbed with the wacko neighbor next door. He is always up to something and I usually get the "butt" end of his actions. He decided to cut all the trees down in his back yard. Any branches or twigs that I have that can't be bagged are stacked neatly in the front of my house with the bagged leaves laying beside them. The neighbor had been cutting trees in his yard for a couple of days and I noticed that my stack of a few twigs and branches seemed to be growing. On trash day my black bags were not picked up as they were buried under his tree cuttings. My mailbox was blocked and the postman had to get out of his truck to deliver my mail. This situation lasted for a week until I called the public works department.


At this point, I have plans to return!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"I think the Fema trailer that has been Pascagoula's post office since after the storm is showing wear and tear. We need to get the post office completed and open for business soon or else we will need another trailer."

LOL!!! That says a lot about how slow the recovery process has been right there...

Ruth said...

LOL Well Anita my point came across just as I meant it. Thanks for verifying, lol