Friday, October 26, 2007

How Time Has Changed!!

As each generation passes through their own time they will have a different perspective on the way life was during that time and most will likely think the time frame they were destined to live in, was the best... I am no different. I grew up in a small town on the coast of Mississippi and as a child, I alternated between being a tomboy and then pretended I was a movie star. I swung from ropes, jumped water filled ditches, played Cowboys versus "Injuns" as we called them and fought in pretend wars as a real war was going on in the country. I easily switched my role, donned a sarong and stuck a flower in my hair. I was a child and played as a child.

I attended a Catholic elementary and high school where the nuns taught me skills that I would use in the work force. I learned about the sanctity of all life, marriage and raising a family. Each Spring in high school, the junior and senior girls were allowed to " stop traffic" during Hospitality Month. We set up a refreshment stand on Live Oak Street that took you to the old Hwy. 90 when one crossed over the bridge. So many tourists passing through would accept our invitation and pull over to talk with us. We made jokes about one another's accents.

Time passed and I entered the adult world, and slowly I began to realize that I am in a minority class ... a woman, a Catholic and a Mississippian whose state and several others split from the union and fought a Civil War. It's not known by many that we were fighting for a Constitutional right not a black and white issue... the media is biased! We have taken and still are the "butt" of many slurs. Most recently, Senator Hilliary Clinton's statement was similar to Congressman Charlie Rangel's statement about who wants to live in Mississippi. Arkansas should be insulted too! Of course, they both apologized but the "barb" will remain.

The wildfires in California are horrific and it was said that Katrina was responsible for the quick action taken to shelter the people. That is a good thing but I wish it had happened in Mississippi and Louisiana. I will be closely following the aftermath of this tragedy to see if the people are told they can't rebuild in such a dangerous area. They are looking for an arsonist to blame the fires on although the Santa Ana winds blow every year resulting in fires.

I still believe it is not the people of America who are biased against Mississippi ... the volunteers that have come to help us are still helping us rebuild homes. They are the "Heart of America" like the people I stopped as a young girl to welcome them to Mississippi.

Well, maybe I should tell you that I am fine after writing an earlier post suggesting that I might have Lymphoma. After a doctor's visit and a detailed blood test .. I am okay. I will take more pics as soon as I can. The weather is certainly pretty now and hopefully it will last. Of course, I will be watching the New Orleans Saints as they take on the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday. See ya soon!

No comments: