Saturday, August 18, 2007

M & M Bank
It seems that we can't quite get out of survival mode in our coastal cities. We had a near disaster Thursday when the Chevron refinery had a tank explode. The picture that my daughter took is from her front porch, across the street from the house shown. (pic is in Thursday's post) Immediately, we went into survival mode. Where do we go? I reside on, what I call, the outskirts of Moss Point so we decided that we would distance ourselves from the potential danger by going to my house. The children couldn't play in the yard as Moss Point has discovered West Nile in the area. They are concerned about only a five block area which I am not in but .... mosquitos can fly can't they? Then there is Hurricane Dean. Before noon today the phone rang and it was a recorded message from Governor Haley Barbour alerting us to prepare just in case Mississippi is the target. What a way to start the day. I wish I could have said, "Hi Governor Barbour .. can you commandeer all the lodging in the state for people that live in the state"? "Can't you do something about the hotels that charge us whether we use the rooms are not"? "You know as well as I do that it is hard to predict exactly where a hurricane will make landfall and the hotels are requiring a 48 hr. cancellation notice that we are not coming". I didn't get to say that but I sure wish I could have. We are Mississippians .. we should take care of our own first!

Today is the anniversary of Camille which I also experienced and it should not be dismissed because Katrina appeared 36 yrs. later and caused more death and damage. Why shouldn't it be dismissed? Because we can't rewrite history... it happened.

Miscellaneous pictures of Pascagoula are below.

Washington Avenue

Pascagoula St.


Pascagoula St.

Pascagoula Beach Park Pier

No comments: