Wednesday, July 25, 2007

It's A Small World

I am already comfortable with this simple uncomplicated blog, I am free to write about anything so I will tell you a true story. The world is vast and many of us will not get to see it all but that's okay as we all carve out our own comfortable "niche" and live the life that we are given. We go to the movies or watch the bigger than life stars on TV. Theirs is a life so different from ours, right? Not always! In 1991, my husband contracted cancer and he was hospitalized at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. It's a hospital that never sleeps when it comes to taking care of the patients. Procedures were performed regardless of the time.. night or day. My daughters would fly in to be with me as their Dad wasn't expected to live. This particular day my daughter Peggy was with me and we were both so nervous that we just stood in the center of the waiting area. We were startled when a rich sounding, proper voice said, "Good Evening Ladies!" "How are you this fine day?" I turned toward him and thought that he looked like a caricature of someone I had seen. He wasn't very tall (maybe because I stood before him wearing "heels" ) not strikingly good looking but nice looking and his ears were "too big". I did say hello and pointed to the door they had taken my husband through. He said, "My wife is in there too." I didn't say anything else as I was too distraught to have a conversation. Peggy and I became annoyed when he spoke again asking, "Do I look like someone you know?". Peggy said in an aggravated tone, "Yeah, Yeah you look like that guy, I forget his name, on Remington Steele." We walked away from him and sat on the other side of the room. Later we learned that he was Pierce Brosnan. Sorry Pierce, our paths crossed at an inappropiate time!

People from all over the world come to M. D. Anderson hoping for a miracle .. sometimes they do happen. I saw sheiks dressed in long ornate robes, sandaled feet, heavy necklaces, wearing turbans. I saw ladies dressed in a "sari" with rubies in the center of their foreheads. There were times we rubbed shoulders in the crowded elevators. Often we didn't speak the same language but we would exchange a smile that said we understood one another's plight of trying to save people we loved. I saw Telly Savalas as a nurse wheeled him out into the hallway I was walking through. "Who Loves Ya, Baby!"

It's a small world!

No comments: